No News is Good News... Brief - Designs

Friday 6 November 2009

This section is looking at my designs around the Type and Images poster. I think this was the most challenging aspect for me to do, i really didn't have a clue how to go about designing this. I did some sketches with creating the message out of bacteria and pussing boils and decided this was probably one of the more effective ways to about it. So i went onto illustrator and started creating the images. Below shows the way i worked them out.




These are the original designs for my bacteria, each one has its its only varying qualities and i wanted them to be simple so that they could be transfered easily from one poster to another if i decided to use them.
This is what the design looked like up close, the bacteria completely loses all its definition and just looks 'blobby'. The problem I had when I put it into illustrator was that because there was so many points it was very hard to rasterize and flatten the transparency that meant when it came to adjusting the image it wouldn't work and if I tried then it would just crash my illustrator.
This is an example of it finished, it looks okay but i just thinks there is too much going on and it isn't very readable which wasn't what i wanted for my posters. Also as i have mentioned i wanted my posters to look professional and this one really doesn't.
So it was back to the drawing board for me. I spoke to Amber and we came up with the idea of using the type message that i had already created because that was already effective and then somewhere on the poster try and put a handprint with bacteria on it. I really liked this idea because it was simple and to the point if you saw a hand with bacteria on it then its pretty self explanatory.

Type and image:

Here i just took the basic bacteria shapes that i had designed and then practiced placing them in the shape of a hand. I did like this design but i don't think it really holds the shape that well and there is too much bacteria on it, which makes it too complicated compared to the simple message.


I tried making the bacteria out of the light tone i used for the surrounding type but as you can see it is just too light. And again there is too much going on with the amount of bacteria on the hand.
With this design i added a background to the hand and took out some of the bacteria. This works a lot better in my opinion, it think it is visually pleasing and helps put the message across. It is bold but not enough to detract from the message it just adds to it, which is exactly what i wanted. I really like this image and will be using it as my final design.

0 comments: