Animalise my card

Wednesday 19 May 2010

After looking through some of my research i decided to have a look at animals, and what people like most. What animals they think are 'cute and cuddly'. The reason i am looking at animals is because if you look at some of the illustrations by Tristan Eaton, and his fellow designers the shapes and characters mimic animals and have a completely different take on what you would usually expect. So in order to start getting some ideas for my product illustrations i thought by looking at animals it may give me some inspiration.


I walked around the class and asked everyone what their favorite/or cutest animal was, after that I decided to look at images of the animals and work out common traits, and patterns in order to give them characteristics in the illustrations. All of these notes are shown in my sketch book. From the notes i then decided to look a the animals that i thought would look good as an illustration, the ones with facial features that could be extenuated in order to give them the friendliest look, and be easily manipulated to create a variety of facial expressions. These animals were:

- Slow Loris
- Squirrel
- Bear
- Penguin
- Panda

Once i'd settled on this i just did some basic sketches to see where i could go with the designs in the future, if i chose to use them. I really like the sketch of the Slow loris, it think it works the best because of the fact you cannot instantly tell what animals it is but you can see clearly that it is one. Also the facial features have a lot of potential for designs in the future. The squirrel looks too much like it and therefore it would be easily recognised, which isn't what i want. I want the character to have an asexual appeal, so that it is neither female/male and there are no associations with the animal instinctively. I want to use the characteristics of an animal but i don't want them to be fully recognisable.


0 comments: