CANNONS - experimentation

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Today we had a really useful workshop with after effects, we finally got to add sound! This was something i was really looking forward to because i do want to use sound within my work but i didn't want to experiment with it until i was ready and fully understood the process. Earlier on in the morning before the crit i had started to put together a short animation taking an idea i had from one of my storyboards.



This was the first animation i put together in the morning. Its very basic and doesn't use motion blur or the key animation ease in and out to help with the natural flow of things. So at best its rustic but it was the beginning process.



With this video I added the motion blur and other techniques in order to give it a natural look. I realise that the path of the cannon ball is not exactly what the ball would do in real life, however that was not the point of this experimentation.



With this next video it was my chance to add audio to the piece. Mike had put some basic sounds together and there was a list of explosive sounds that i could have used, i found this sound to be the most effective because it gave the piece a more realistic feel too it and sounded the most cannon like. The sound times perfectly with the cannon ball moving out the cannon, and personally i think it works well.





With this next sequence i found an audio clip on youtube that was from pirates of the caribbean. I managed to download it and adjust it to fit within the sequence. This gave me a chance to use my newly acquired skills and cut the music so that i could use the bit i liked. I realise that it isn't perfect and doesn't really fit because the music builds up and apart from the cannon firing that is all that is happening, but it has helped me anyway.





Audio 4 from Robyn Russell on Vimeo.



With this last I re-cut the music and added another cannon so that it would feel like there was more going on. I feel the exploding cannon actually fits quite well within the sequence and the music. By turning the background music down the explosion becomes more prominent and captures your attention.

I am really happy with these videos, its helped me work out how i would process my files in order to have working audio.

0 comments: