Water Drop - Experimentation

Monday 17 January 2011

After looking into my research, i find a video i really liked and it has given me inspiration on how one of my title sequences could begin. I like the idea of a splatter turning into a island and then a map, but the process of getting the splatter to turn into an island was confusing to me. So after i looked through my research i decided the best way to go about it was by breaking the sequence down and experimenting myself. What i really liked was being able to look at a very good video and then being able to do it myself without having to do any tutorials, and this is because of the workshops we have been doing. It really felt like i had learnt something and i was finally able to use what i learned to produce something i really liked. It's a very satisfying feeling. So, as i said i broke the sequence down, the below parts show how i have done this and what techniques i have taken from the workshops we have done. 



This first video basically shows the perspective of the 'splatter'. 
Much like the other video i have started with the perspective 
off-screen and made it fall into the middle, this gives it a more 
realistic feel to it. The problem i then found was making it look 
like its natural.





So in order to make the 'splatter' and the blob look like its falling
naturally i added the motion blur and then added the animation
'Ease in' and 'ease out'. This gives it a flowing effect, and i think
the sequence looks more natural. The next part was to work out
a splatter that would represent the idea of an island. I didn't want
it to be exactly the same shape i just wanted it to give a general
idea. 




Untitled from Robyn Russell on Vimeo.


I trawled through the brushes in illustrator to give myself some 
ideas of what i could use. I found a basic brush that did kind of
give me what i was looking for. It was more me to get the transition
right. I think it works, but again the shape isn't perfect. 







This is the final sequence. I think the first part works up till 
about 8 seconds. Then after it gets a bit hazy. I think I
have over complicated it slightly. My idea was to swap the block
of colour for the splatter and switch it for the outline, so that it
would have more of an island feel. Unfortunately the transition 
doesn't quite work and this is something i am going to have to improve.
What i did get to do though was experiment with the camera effect.
being able to zoom in on things either individually or as a whole, this
is something i hadn't explored before but i know i do want to use it
in the future. 



This has been a really useful exercise for me because it has shown me the potential in the design idea i have had. But it has also shown me how difficult this is going to be because there are going to be so many different areas that will need animating individually. 







0 comments: