Vogue Brief...

Monday 8 March 2010

We were given the chance to participate in a live brief, which was hosted by 'dont panic'. It was the first live brief that i have ever participated in and was therefore quite excited. The idea was to come up with something relating to vogue that was stereotypically taken from the magazine. I decided that in order to do this i should do a word association that would link with the title. I came up with a few, and i decided that the ones i really wanted to focus on were the clinical and surgical aspects.







































I also began looking at other designs to gain some inspiration for the project, something i could try and base my idea around loosley. I wanted to work with type and image, or try and combine the two to create something, because i thought that would work best with this piece. Plus i really like working with both type and image.

As we didn't have much time to try and sketch things out i went straight onto the computer and decided to try out some ideas. Below are the two final examples i chose to present, each with an evaluation.



Image 1. This is the image i entered into the competition. Regretfully. I do like the idea of the image it just wasn't executed as well as i had hoped. Which was frustrating because i knew what i wanted to do but couldn't get it done. the typeface is fairly illegible and if you didn't know what it was i don't think you would. I think generally behind it works and if it had been better presented then it would have worked better. I also don't like the type face that i used to create the slogan, its just too boring. There are certain letters that work better than others, but it was very hard to get implements that actually looked like the letters naturally without me tampering with them too much.

(image yet to be uploaded) Image 2. This image was created to mimic a woman's face, i really prefer this image to the other one. I like the fact it all relates to vogue but only subtly, and with the restricted colour palette this allowed it to appear clean and crisp. I would have used this as my entry but the image was damaged on my memory stick somehow and would not let me update with which was very VERY frustrating.

Once i had a bit more time on my hands i decided to try and recreate first poster in a more successful way. I really prefer this idea. It still simple but i think it shows my idea better, which is beauty is only what you make of it essentially. I like the idea of the 'vogue' dripping out of the needle onto the page, it makes it look seedy. I also think the big red lips really liven the page up and i think it needs something else to bring your attention to it instead of the simple illustration.




0 comments: