What is a line... Development

Wednesday 17 March 2010

After my initial ideas it was time to push my designs to the next stage. as i wanted to base my designs around leeds i wanted to look at the central building which would be Leeds City Hall, in order to try out my first attempt at creating the designs.
I figured the best way to get an accurate interpretation of the building would be to hand draw the outline i wanted first using the tracing paper idea i had done before, then process those designs through the computer (Illustrator).

I wanted the building to be recognizable, but it still draw on the simplicity at had created in the early sketches. I worked out from my previous drawings that i would use 3 different layers, each with a different colour, each corresponding to a different part of the building. This meant there would be a continuity and that you could look at different image and still pick out the same details because of the colour coding.

The colours i have actually used are not specific and i doubt i will use them when creating my final images.

Below shows the traces i did and then where i edited them on illustrator.







-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------










- final. With this illustration i combined both the building angles i had originally copied in order to create a surrounding view of the Leeds City Hall building. I think this effect works really well, i really like the crowding, and you can still pick out a lot of detail from the illustration. I am not sure about the mixed colours but its something i will look into further.










- Side 1. I really like this design because its simple. I am not sure about the colour scheme but i like the over all affect. Its interesting to look at and you can still pick out detail.


















- Side 2. I defiantly prefer the colours used with this design, they are a lot more interesting and vibrant against the white background. Again there is a good level of detail meaning you can pick out the shape of the building and the individual parts within it. I like the over-layering it gives nice shape to the image, giving different contours but still amounting up to the same image.

























Generally, really happy with what i have produced and now want to take it onto screen printing to see what affect it has on my designs.

0 comments: