Packaging Idea

Sunday 6 February 2011

The idea for my packaging is pretty simple. I am going to take the idea of using pirate related rigging/ship related rigging. I am going to take some cloth and tea stain/coffee stain, rip and burn it so that i can then wrap my disc in it. My idea is to cross it over three different elements; firstly the DVD itself - I am going to print on it (which i learnt to do with one of the modules last year) with the module code and my name. I was thinking about putting other information on about the contents, but its all pretty self explanatory. I am also going with the idea that if you found something like this packaging you would have to watch the disc to find out what is on it.
Secondly, i am going to do a protective packaging around the DVD. I know that i am going to wrap it in some rough material and there is a danger of the DVD being scratched, so i want to protect it some way.
Thirdly, i am going to wrap the DVD and its protective packaging in a map like material and tie it with string, this is to hold everything together. It also gives the packaging another dimension.



This packaging would be a one off limited edition packaging, if it were designed for commercial use. I have already investigated how much the material i am going to use would cost and per meter its £2. The material would be screen printed on to give the effect i will create with the coffee and the tea. If i were to do this as a limited edition print then i would have to print about 100 DVD packaging. So, depending on how big my outer packaging is and how much i can get out of a meter i guesstimate it will cost around £50 for the material. Provided i can get two outer packages from one meter. 

Another element would be printing on the DVD covers themselves, i am not sure how much this would cost commercially but again as its a one of print i know that it would cost around £1 per print. So that would equal £100. Bringing my total cost to around £150. As there would be a lot of hand crafting involved with this, you would have to factor in the cost but as i would be doing it myself there is no cost for it. 

0 comments: