UV Development

Thursday 4 November 2010

Today all my UV items i ordered arrived which was great. This meant that i could start experimenting and seeing what i can do with the paint and pens. I will be using these materials to create my mock ups and help me get an idea of how they can be used.


I started by practicing with the UV pen i got, this is generally used for marking money and writing on other such items. I took the text 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' in helvetica and practiced drawing it. The reason i did this is because, for the billboards, i will be using a mixture of text and image so i wanted to see what it would look like written. It was really useful doing this, because i found the the black-lite in order to be fully effective has to be used in the dark, although you can see it a bit in the light. Below show the first images of my experimenting.

1. The paper with the writing on it, you can
see that you can't actually read the text at all
which is my desired effect for the billboards

2. Here i have shone the black lite onto the text,
because there is so much surrounding light you
cant see the text clearly at all apart from the faint 
outline.



3. With these images you really struggle to see the
text, which is exactly what it would be like on the
billboard, if printed on a white substrate. 

4. This next image shows how much more effective 
the text is when in the dark, although the black lite
i have is small you do struggle to pick up on all the
detail but you get the general idea. 





After looking at these, its shown me that darkness is the best way to show the UV text, i just wanted to see what it would look like in the light. Also i think maybe using a darker substrate with the UV printed ontop of white text might actually work better because it will stand out more and not get washed out by the white background so this is definatly something for me to experiment with. 

0 comments: