Packaging Design - Cup take 2

Tuesday 10 May 2011

After some frustration with my first attempt at making the shelf for the cup, I decided to have another go after some coaching from Lorenzo. He told me it may be a lot simpler to make small shelves along the rim of the cup to balance the shelf. 
Small indentations made around the cup, they will all have to
be level with one another otherwise it will be wonky. 

after the indentations are made if you push them through they
make a small level with which the shelf can fit on.

I was really surprised at how sturdy this actually turned out to be.
I thought it might not be that strong, but as soon as i put the shelf in with a little
bit of pressure it held really well. Which is good news for putting the cupcakes in too.
After making my temporary shelf i decided to make one that
was a little bit more rigid. I used an idea i had seen before.
having the circle in the middle means that the cupcake can
slip in quite easily and be held in place by the supports around the side.

I decided to try this structure system on the plastic cup. But immediately i had
problems. Because the cup is plastic when you put weight on it it rips right through
so adding the weight of a cupcake would force it to bend more and then rip down the 
sides.


The plastic cup with the edited shelf added.
as much as it looks aesthetically better (to a certain extent)
the functionality of the product really doesnt work.




I then put the shelf in a larger coffee cup to see
how it would look. I actually prefer this i think to
the smaller one. Also because there is no center to the
shelf the structure can fit in without any supports.
This is because it will not bend and push out, which is
what i was having to do earlier with forcing it in. So there
may now not be any need for putting in the supports. I really
need a cupcake to try and see if it can support this or not. 


larger cup, you can just see the shelf which means you 
will still be able to see the cupcakes.

The two sizes together with their shelves in, one edited one not.




There is still a lot of work that needs to be done with this packaging, but I am really happy with the progress made. It shows the idea can work and it's a case of working out little things now and then starting to design for it.
I need to work out how a lid would function, and how I would fit it. I would also need to think about maybe adding a window? Not too sure yet..

0 comments: