Website - Initial Ideas

Monday 23 May 2011

Here I have tried out some basic layouts, I have taken inspiration from all the bakery websites I have looked at that I thought were similar to mine. I really want my website to be quite vibrant, I want it to reflect the personality of the company on the screen. 

I took the very vibrant raspberry colour to create the homepage of
my website. I also decided to use a really striking image of the product
to outline the cupcakes that can be produced, this should in tern
entice the view to enter the website and find out more. By having such
a colourful background I didn't want to have a really colourful image because
it would detract or confuse the front page. 

Taking the layout I then added the logo. I kind of
wanted it to look like a banner falling down
the page with the logo on it. Seeing as it will be a consistent,
I wanted to create something visually that could work across all
the websites. 

I decided to try a different colour, I think the cream works better
because then everything else that goes on top of it is a lot
more striking and engaging. The banner logo looks a lot clearer.
Although I think i could probably do with making the background 
a little paler so that you can see logo a little bit better. 

I created a small banner that would go on the front page
just giving the viewer something else to look at and hopefully entice them
into going to the shop. To have consistency I have used the same
logo design, with an altered outer stoke so that there is then some consistency across
branding products and the website. 

Just to keep it in-keeping with the logo and colour scheme I decided
to change the small logo design to purple, it then matches the banner logo. 
I also added a tag line that runs across the top of the page, using avant garde
which is a font I have also used in my packaging. I wanted it to spread the length 
of the main banner so that it could be read but wouldnt detract from the main
banner with the info 'about'etc.

The main banner is to outline the functions of the website.
The headers need to be clear and legible. I have made them large
and used small caps so that they will stand out against the background.
I didn't want to make them too thick because I wanted them too appear 
sophisticated and elegant. 

The about page is key to understanding the products
displayed and what buttercream is all about. I want to
create really simple pages, with simple layout so that 
it is easy to read and easy to follow. Some of the websites I looked
at were really complicated. So by making the about page all about the
main attraction of buttercream it sums up the company quite nicely.
I split it with text and image to outline the function of the packaging
and the information coupled with it compliment what its
all about. I wanted it to appear like a letter.


The delivery page i key to the functionality of the website, its
what its all about. I have created a range of visual hierarchy with this page.
The most prominent thing is the offers, this immediately grabs you and make  you
read more. I have chosen images that represent the 
delivery of the product so people would know what they are
getting. 
the information itself is set out in a fairly clear and structured way
so that it is easy to read, and visually legible. Theres a lot of
information so by breaking it up with a variety of different weights,
italics, and use of lower case caps really helps define certain areas of the webpage.

These experimentation has helped me focus what I need to do for my website. Now that I have designed a basic structure its just a case of developing more pages to go alongside it. 


0 comments: