Statement of Intent

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Product – Range – Distribution
Statement of Intent

Rational:
What do you want to do and why? An overarching statement of the direction of your own design practice, areas of interest and what this will allow you to explore… and WHY?

I really want to create a brief around my experiences with working with type. After doing the type module it has really ignited my passion for typography and this is where I want my practice to go from now on. I want to become an expert in working with and manipulating type in all its formats, whether it be layout and editorial or flyers. I would also like to create it around my second passion, which is food. I am quite a keen cook and I absolutely love baking. So by creating a brief that encompasses both of my passions I am sure I can create something that I will be really proud of. I want to use this opportunity to do something fun, as well as making it functional towards pushing me a designer. I want to do this by improving my skills with type, as well as taking my software skills to the next level. I want to be producing quality work that I can use to represent me as a designer and what I am interested in. By giving myself opportunities to play to my strengths I will hopefully deliver a range of solutions that I can use in my portfolio in the future. This whole brief I have designed is to be used to explore my skills and passions further as a designer so that I become more sure of what I am good at in the future and what to capitalize on.

Statement of Intent:
What do you intend to do in order to fulfill your rationale, creating intentions and individual ambitions?
Product – I intend to create a range of promotional products, and retail products that relate to my designed brief. I want the products to be appropriate to the design solution and give myself enough selection to pick the best from. I will also be designing across design for print and design for screen, this way I am encompassing everything that is important to being a successful graphic designer. My products will also be culturally relevant, so in keeping with a modern and commercial theme.
Range – As I have previously mentioned the main range I will be producing is the range of products used, however within this there will specific ranges relating to each product where it is applicable. For example I know I want to create some bespoke posters, there will be a range within this. There will also be a wide range relating to the development part of my work, giving me a selection of solutions to pick from.
Distribution -  By using my new skills in web design I will be transferring the appropriate designs on to screen to help with the promotional side of the brief. A lot of the work is going to be printed, but I will be using a range of printing techniques so as to have some comparisons.





What will you produce and what will you propose?
I propose a range of promotional goods to help promote the new identity of the cupcake shop that I am creating. These will take the form of bags, packaging, bespoke posters, flyers, mail shots, and web design.



Brief:
(See scanned in version for full brief)
In order to achieve this what brief will you be responding to and how will this fulfill your intentions?

I have specifically designed my brief to encompass everything that I am currently interested in so that I can get the most out of it. My intention is to work with type quite heavily within this brief using the skills I already have available to me. I want to create an innovative and unique identity for the new cupcake show, and I think coupling it with my passion for type is defiantly going to make it interesting. I have also made sure that the brief gives me opportunities to work over a range of media, so as to push my skills in every area. Although the brief may seem quite open, I have set myself certain restrictions as to what I can do and what I cant because I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.

Research:
Primary – Visiting local bakeries and patisseries, investigating recipe books and speaking to designers who have produced such work. Speaking to tutors and technicians when I get stuck or want to try something different.
Secondary – Research into bakeries, design already done, appropriate fonts and things already done. As well as processes, to constantly inform myself.

Practical Development:

-       Screen printing
-       Digital printing
-       Web Skills
-       Type Skills
-       Hand Crafting
All of these skills will be used throughout the progress of my project to try test and finally produce the final resolutions.

Recording, Documenting and Evaluation:
I will be using my blog throughout this whole process, constantly documenting what I have done. This will also include an on going evaluation of my progress and what I have produced. I will use crits to discuss my progress as well as speaking with tutors when available.











0 comments: